Soft Tissue and Gum Grafting
The Benefits of Soft Tissue Grafting
Looking to put a stop to the deterioration of your gums? Elkhart Periodontics would recommend soft tissue grafting for patients who are looking to get their healthy smile back. Soft tissue grafting is a procedure you won’t fear. With the advanced technology we have in our office, this method has become less invasive.
Besides preventing further pain and irritation, some other benefits of soft tissue grafting can include
- Allowing a more suitable process for possible denture implants or other surgical procedures
- Avoids cavities and further tooth decay
- Prevents bacteria and infection from being built up in the gaps of gums and missing teeth
- Avoiding face deformities
- A smile you’re happy to show off
Elkhart Periodontics has the team and technology to get your soft tissue grafting procedure done so you are one step closer to achieving your dream smile. Soft tissue grafting is a simple procedure that can make a positive impact on your oral health. To learn more about soft tissue grafting, give us a call at (574) 266-6107.
What Is Gum Grafting?
Gum grafting is a dependable solution in improving your oral health. This procedure is known to be highly effective, safe and has an easy healing process. If periodontal disease goes untreated, it could create greater concerns for your mouth. Some of those issues can be
- Receding gums
- Not only are thinning gums not appealing, but gaps can form between the tissue and the tooth allowing bacteria to build up.
- If you are noticing that your teeth are becoming sensitive to temperature, that could be due to your tooth root being exposed. An exposed root can cause immeasurable pain and lasting damage if it is ignored.
- Irritated Gums
- Gums that are blotchy, bleeding or swollen is a likely sign you have periodontal disease. This can be due to excessive bacteria formed underneath the gums.
Gum recession and pain can happen for a multitude of different reasons. Most commonly we see patients with damaged gums that brush their teeth aggressively, have untreated periodontal diseases or insufficient dental care.
Periodontists recommend gum grafting for those who are experiencing those painful, irritable symptoms. Gum grafting is the treatment of covering exposed roots or thickening existing gum tissue. At Elkhart Periodontics, we provide various types of gum grafting. Those methods include
- Free gingival graft
- This procedure is done by taking a small amount of tissue from the roof of your mouth. Free gingival grafts are commonly done for a patient who needs thickening for receding gums.
- Connective-tissue graft
- This grafting is done by going under the surface of the roof of your mouth to be used for missing soft tissue around a tooth or teeth.
Patients can expect to be fully healed from a gum graft procedure in one to two weeks. At Elkhart Periodontics, we provide utmost care from the beginning of the procedure to post-op. Our periodontists are ready to give you a smile that is healthy and bright! Give us a call today at (574) 266-6107 to learn more about gum grafting.